2. CB coach Terry Smith
James Franklin’s longest tenured assistant coach sometimes gets overlooked when it comes to recruiting, but he’s quietly involved with plenty of recruitments.
Smith is main Pennsylvania recruiter for Penn State, doing most of his work in Pittsburgh and Philadelphia. He also does some work in Ohio and New Jersey, along with being involved in most cornerback recruitments.
Because he’s been around since 2014, it would take forever to go through every recruitment he took part in, but here’s some notable and recent ones:
- 2016 5-star RB Miles Sanders
- 2017 4-star CB Lamont Wade
- 2022 4-star WR Kaden Saunders
- 2022 4-star OL Drew Shelton
- 2021 4-star CB Kalen King
- 2021 4-star S Jaylen Reed
- 2022 4-star CB Cam Miller
- 2019 4-star CB Joey Porter Jr.
- 2017 4-star CB Tariq Castro-Fields
- 2020 JUCO 4-star Jaquan Brisker
- 2023 3-star CB Lamont Payne
- 2014 3-star CB Grant Haley
- 2014 3-star CB Amani Oruwariye
If you want to see Smith’s full list, it’s on his 247 Sports profile.
Smith has helped the Nittany Lions land some guys that turned into key contributors on the 2016-19 teams. He’s also been involved in landing big-time members of the 2022 and 2023 recruiting classes, two of the better classes Penn State has formed under Franklin.
Smith is a former high school football head coach and that may be a reason why he’s so successful as a recruiter. He knows how to talk to coaches and what recruits like and dislike from a recruiter.