The first big news of the Penn State hockey offseason came on Thursday with the full release of the men’s 2014-15 schedule. The women released their schedule at the end of May, which I’ll cover at the bottom of this post, but here are some highlights to look forward to for both squads in their second years at Pegula Ice Arena:
- The season opens for the men on Oct. 10 at home against UConn at 7 p.m. The Nittany Lions played the Huskies back in 2013 when they travelled to Connecticut in January and suffered two losses, 4-3 and 4-1. The series will conclude against the Huskies at 3 p.m. on Saturday, October 11.
- The team will then head to Alaska, its longest travel distance to date, the following week to play in the Brice Alaska Gold Rush tournament, where they’ll face-off against Alaska Anchorage on Oct. 17 at 9:07 p.m. Then on the following night, they’ll play Alaska Fairbanks at 7:07 p.m. to finish out the series.
- First Big Ten series of the year will be at budding rival Michigan on Nov. 21-22. The Wolverines won’t make an appearance in Pegula until March but don’t expect the rivalry to cool down after Penn State ousted them last year in the Big Ten Tournament in OT.
- There will be no games at home in November. On the plus side, Penn State will play in Madison Square Garden in New York against Cornell in The Frozen Apple on Nov. 29 at 8 p.m.
- Penn State will go back to the Three Rivers Classic in December at Pittsburgh’s Consol Energy Center for the third year, starting off playing against Robert Morris on Monday the 29 then either Colgate or Western Michigan on Tuesday, December 30.
- The Nittany Lions will only play three games in 2015 against non-conference opponents. Northern Michigan will make its way to Pegula Jan. 23-24 then Penn State will travel the following week to play in their annual Philadelphia College Hockey Faceoff at the Wells Fargo Center against Vermont on the 29th.
- Two straight months of Big Ten play will finish off the season, starting at home against Wisconsin on Feb. 6-7 and ending on the road at Minnesota on March 13-14.
- The Big Ten Tournament kicks off the following week from March 19-21 in Detroit’s Joe Louis Arena.
For the full men’s schedule with dates and times, with most times still TBA, click here.
As for the women, their year begins with an exhibition game on Sep. 26 at home against Western Ontario. Here are more highlights of their 2014-15 season:
- The Nittany Lion’s first game of the season will be away against 2013-14 NCAA Finalist and four-time national champion Minnesota on Oct. 3. Penn State will play a second game in Minnesota the following day vs St. Cloud State before coming home.
- Penn State will open their second season at Pegula Ice Arena against Quinnipiac the following week, Oct. 11-12. The Nittany Lions held a 0-2 record against the team last season when they went to visit Connecticut last season during the same weekend.
- A six-game road trip will start Halloween night at Syracuse and end on Nov. 14-15 at RIT. Their equally long home stand will start against Mercyhurst on Dec. 12 and will continue into the new year, ending again vs RIT on Jan. 16-17.
- Penn State will head to the University of New Hampshire for the first time to play against the Wildcats Jan. 23-24. Last season, the team lost both games of the series at home in October.
- The Nittany Lions will end the season on an eight game CHA circuit the following week, finishing up against Robert Morris on Feb. 20-21 at home for the last series of the season.
- The CHA Tournament kicks off the weekend after the end of the season, with the first round going from Feb. 27 to March 1 with the final ending on March 7.
For the full women’s schedule with dates and times, with some times still TBA, click here.