UPDATE: PENN STATE’S 2014 RECRUITING CLASS IS NOW COMPLETE WITH 25 NEW NITTANY LIONS
After all of the speculation and waiting, National Signing Day is finally here. This is a day where fans of every college football program get to feel a sense of excitement at what the future may hold. That feeling is magnified this year at Penn State, as new head coach James Franklin, who has a prestigious recruiting reputation, has taken over the Nittany Lions and looks to be off to a great start building his team.
Penn State has 20 scholarships to use on the 2014 class. Five recruits already enrolled at school early and will not count against that number. Currently, there are 19 verbal commitments, meaning that there is a bit of an unknown as to what will happen to the last scholarship. The Nittany Lions made a late offer to Torrence Brown, a 3-star athlete from Alabama who’s committed to Southern Mississippi.
On Tuesday, defensive lineman Lloyd Tubman, who was the first Vanderbilt recruit to follow Franklin to Happy Valley, decided to decommit from Penn State. The Nittany Lions are still in his final three, but it’s unlikely he’ll come back to the Nittany Lions.
Be sure to check this post often today, as we will be updating the status of the recruits as the letters of intent roll in. You can also click on each recruit’s name for a link to VBR’s article about them.
- Tarow Barney — DT — Senatobia, MS (Northwest Mississippi CC)
- Michael O’Connor — QB — Bradenton, FL (IMG Academy)
- De’Andre Thompkins — WR — Swansboro, NC (Swansboro HS)
- Chasz Wright — OL — New Berlin, NY (Milford Academy)
- Antoine White — DL — Millville, NJ (Millville HS)
- Troy Reeder — LB — Wilmington, DE (Salesianum HS)
- Noah Beh — OT — Scranton, PA (Scranton Prep)
- Amani Oruwariye — DB — Tampa, FL (Gaither HS)
- Chance Sorrell – OL — Middletown, OH (Middletown HS)
- Jason Cabinda — LB — Flemington, NJ (Hunterdon High School)
- Troy Apke – WR — Pittsburgh, PA (Mt. Lebanon HS)
- Trace McSorley — QB/ATH — Ashburn, VA (Briar Woods HS)
- Nick Scott — RB/ATH — Fairfax, VA (Fairfax HS)
- Mike Gesicki – TE — Manahawkin, NJ (Southern Regional HS)
- Mark Allen — RB — Hyattsville, MD (DeMatha Catholic)
- Grant Haley — DB — Atlanta, GA (Lovett School)
- Saeed Blacknall — WR — Englishtown, NJ (Manalapan HS)
- Daquan Worley – DB — Coatesville, PA (Coatesville Area High School)
- Chris Godwin — WR — Middletown, DE (Middletown HS)
- Brendan Brosnan — OL — Park Ridge, IL (Maine South HS)
- Koa Farmer — ATH — Riverside, CA (Notre Dame HS)
- Jonathan Thomas – RB — Danvers, MA (St. John’s Prep)
- Christian Campbell — DB — Phenix, AL (Central High School)
- Torrence Brown — ATH — Tuscaloosa, AL (Tuscaloosa Academy)
- Marcus Allen — DB — Upper Marlboro, MD (Dr. Henry Wise HS)
Follow VBR Lead Editor Barry Leonard Jr. on Twitter for the latest on Penn State and National Signing Day