Bill O’Brien met with the media again today in what was a rather spirited affair. Apparently getting win #1 out of the way last weekend lightened the mood to the point where OB was cracking Animal House jokes. Seriously. Here’s what you missed.
- As expected, O’Brien confirmed that 5th year senior tight end Matt Lehman suffered a season ending knee injury vs. Syracuse. BOB didn’t discuss a possible 6th year, but it would seem very very unlikely that such an application would be accepted. Tough luck for a great kid.
- Mike Hull and Kyle Carter’s injuries are considered pretty minor, and both are day to day, and probable for Saturday. All things being equal, I would not be surprised if both sit out this weekend’s game versus a weak EMU team, and focus on getting ready for a big game against UCF in 2 weeks time.
- That Animal House reference? It turns out that when the Lions went for it on 4th down the first time on Saturday, O’Brien didn’t realize it was 4th down, thinking that his offense converted on 3rd down. O’Brien compared himself to Jim Belushi in Animal House, and the well known “forget it, he’s rolling” line.
- We already know Stephen Obeng-Agyapong can play safety and linebacker. What about tight end or fullback? Don’t be surprised to see the senior practicing there this week, and maybe taking some snaps on the other side of the ball on gameday.
- Expect the Adam Gress/Gary Gilliam battle at right tackle to continue this week, and throughout the season. They’re both still “OR” on the depth chart as far as starting, and both will play.
- Akeel Lynch has been a popular topic out of the Syracuse game given the struggles of the running game. So will be see the redshirt freshman? Maybe. O’Brien said they’re continually evaluating at tailback (and I imagine elsewhere), and Lynch is working hard in practice.
Follow VBR Lead Editor Matt de Bear on Twitter for the latest on Penn State