Well, it’s been awhile since I checked in with some Penn State hockey news. But, I’m here now to fill you in on what’s been happening over the past couple of months and moving forward as we get closer to the start of the hockey season in October.
- The biggest news out of the past few months has been the release of the full 2013-14 schedule. You can check out the schedule in its entirety here but some of the highlights include: the Nittany Lions will open their season and their brand new arena against Army on October 11, the team will again be playing in the Philadelphia College Hockey Faceoff against Vermont at the Wells Fargo Center but this year it will be played much earlier on October 26, the first Big Ten hockey action will take place when the team visits Wisconsin on December 6, just like last year the Nittany Lions will also be a part of the Three Rivers Classic in Pittsburgh just after Christmas, and a series against Ohio State will close out the season in March before the Big Ten Tournament the week after. You can check out the full 2013-14 Big Ten schedule here. Also, the women’s full 2013-14 schedule was released here, with their season kicking off on October 4 at Vermont and their first game in the new Pegula Ice Arena on October 18 versus Union.
- The captains have been named for Penn State’s 2013-14 season. Forward Tommy Olczyk is the captain again this year and is joined by defenseman Nate Jensen and forward David Glen as assistant captains.
- Nine new players have been added to the Nittany Lions roster for the 2013-14 season. Five of them were announced back in the fall: freshman forward David Goodwin, freshman goaltender and recent NHL draft pick Eamon McAdam, freshman forward Zach Saar, sophomore forward Eric Scheid, and freshman defenseman David Thompson. However recently, coach Guy Gadowsky announced the addition of four other members to the roster: junior defenseman Patrick Koudys, freshman forward Ricky DeRosa, freshman forward Dylan Richard, and freshman defenseman and also recent NHL draft pick Mike Williamson.
- Construction of the Pegula Ice Arena seems to be right on schedule with not much new to report. You can; however, check out some photos and video of the construction on GoPSUSports.com or on the Penn State Men’s Hockey Instagram account right here.
- A couple weeks ago, our fearless editor Matt de Bear looked into the talk of a non-football event at Beaver Stadium with many reports suggesting there have been discussions of a Pittsburgh Penguins and Philadelphia Flyers outdoor game, such as the Winter Classic, in Beaver Stadium with the idea of tacking a Penn State game to the highly televised event, among other things. I know I am not the only one who salivates at the possibility of a Flyers and Penguins outdoor game but the mere idea of maybe adding a Penn State game to it is pretty incredible in my opinion.
- Finally, in more celebratory news, Brandon Saad – the brother of former PSU hockey player and assistant captain George Saad who graduated this past year – was a part of the Chicago Blackhawks team that just won the 2013 Stanley Cup so congratulations to the entire Saad family on a momentous achievement!
As more Penn State hockey news continues to roll in, be sure to check back regularly for more updates and announcements before the start of the 2013-14 hockey season!