Any faithful reader of this site knows I have a soft spot in my heart for college football point spreads. Noted college football blogger Adam Kramer of The Bleacher Report and KegsnEggs.com (and fellow lover of Las Vegas) posted the complete rundown of spreads for the opening week of the college football season. As always the following are presented for entertainment purposes only, and VBR is not responsible for any losses. We are, however, entitled to 75% of your winnings. Hey, where are you going?
- Penn State (-4) vs. Syracuse – In short: STAY. AWAY. I like PSU’s chances in this one, but with both teams breaking in new quarterbacks, and the Orange featuring a new head coach as well, there are just too many unknowns for me, especially over 100 days before the game.
- Florida State (-6.5) at Pitt – If you follow me on Twitter (and you really should), you already know my thoughts on this one:
//bets mortgage on Florida State -6.5 over Pitt
— Matt d (@PSUMatt2005) May 20, 2013
In short, I don’t see any possible way Pitt keeps this close. Florida State just has more talent at every conceivable spot.
- UMass at Wisconson (-45) – I think I like the Minutemen in this one. Sure, Wisconsin is a vastly superior team, but 45 points is a lot, and the Badgers don’t exactly have a dynamic offense, even if new coach Gary Andersen is a miracle worker on the offensive side of the ball.
- Alabama (-15.5) vs. Virginia Tech – Can anyone give me a reason to think VT has any chance of covering the 15.5 points here? An Alabama team with many of the same parts, especially at key spots, systematically picked apart Notre Dame, who is much better than the Hokies, with weeks to prepare. What is Saban going to do with an entire summer, and presumably some slight weakness to harp on to his team for all that time?
- Georgia vs. Clemson (-1) – Give me just a minute to stop drooling over this one…..OK. Seriously, how great of a match up is this, and in week 1, no less. Add in the Death Valley (the Clemson one) crowd under the lights, and you’ve got the recipe for a fantastic college football game. As for who I like? I have no idea. Clemson has the home crowd, but using Vegas’ 3 points for home field, they think Georgia is 2 points better.
Follow VBR Lead Editor Matt de Bear on Twitter for the latest on Penn State and suspect betting advice.
Topics: Against The Spread, Alabama Crimson Tide, Clemson Tigers, Florida State Seminoles, Football, Georgia Bulldogs, Penn State Nittany Lions, Pitt Panthers, Syracuse Orange, Umass Minutemen, Virginia Tech Hokies, Wisconsin Badgers