One of the more popular questions I have seen both on our Facebook group (now with over 1,000 likes!) as well as on Twitter during this little flurry of verbal commitments has been “who is next”. While I don’t pretend to have any inside information, we can at least offer some educated guesses on some of the names out there high on Penn State.
- QB Michael O’Connor – Even before Steven Bench announced he was transferring, O’Connor had a PSU offer, and had been told he was the only guy PSU was targeting at QB . The 4 star player on 247 is one of the top pro style signal callers in the nation, and has not been shy about saying PSU is getting serious consideration. His other favorites are Michigan State and Vanderbilt, but with the Spartans already getting a verbal commitment at QB, this may be a Big 10-SEC battle.
- OL/DL Noah Beh – Noah plays on both lines, and while he’s rated by most services as a defensive end, it is thought PSU views his as an offensive lineman. Just last week Noah narrowed his list to two favorites, the Lions and Boston College. While there is no set time table, he did say earlier this year that PSU was not pressuring him for a commitment, but that they did only plan to take one player on the offensive line, and couldn’t promise him anything if someone else committed first.
- DB/LB Jared Wangler – Of all the players on this list, Jared could be the most likely to commit soon. The Warren, Michigan native has said PSU is his leader, and that he does not intend to drag things on into the summer. Other than the Lions, Cincinnati is his only other BCS conference offer, but the home state Spartans have started to sniff around. If I were a betting man (and I am, it’s just an expression), I’d be pretty confident Jared is a Nittany Lion.
- DB Dravon Henry – The Aliquippa native has been one of the hotter names, it seems, picking up 8 offers in just the last 2 or 3 weeks. PSU remains towards the top of his list, along with Ohio State, Pitt, and West Virginia. Dravon is one of the best athletes in Pennsylvania (#1 in the 247 composite rankings), and would be a huge commit for O’Brien. Expect this one to drag on a little longer though.
- DT Thomas Holley – This is another one that will not be settled soon, but Thomas is probably one of the biggest fish left on PSU’s list. He has visited Happy Valley twice this spring, including last month’s Blue-White Game, and it would seem that the Lions will be a factor throughout.
Follow VR Lead Editor Matt de Bear on Twitter for the latest on Penn State