This isn’t something that I usually do, but I had two TVs running for most of the day yesterday and noticed a lot of things while watching football during the day. Plus, my kids had me up at like 6:15 because they think time changes are dumb and they want red, blue, orange, yellow and green flavored Os in milk.
We’ll start with the day games:
- I once voted Florida as the number one team…this year. I loved the schedule they had played and was driving the Jeff Driskel bandwagon. I’ve since done a swan dive off of that train and Florida is probably not as good as I had thought.
- Clemson is a sneaky 8-1, whose only loss came to Florida State. Not sure why they aren’t ranked higher. That’s a BCS-caliber team.
- Texas A&M might be the third best team in the SEC and Johnny Manziel is my favorite player who doesn’t wear blue. They’ll battle Alabama next week closer than people will expect.
- Louisville is probably pretty good. And not just because they beat Temple by 30 like everybody else does. Because they beat everybody else, too. The season ender against Rutgers should be a good one.
- West Virginia is now 5-3 and they still have to play Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Iowa State. They have the 119th ranked scoring defense. Sad to waste a talent like Geno Smith with a defense that doesn’t exist.
- I’m not going to kill Notre Dame for barely beating Pitt even though they probably didn’t deserve to win. They’re still undefeated and that’s going to come with hiccups. However, the team that showed up yesterday can’t expect to beat USC. They better get it together.
- Kansas State is really good but Klein’s injury is bad news.
- Iowa is terrible.
- USC can beat Oregon. I know…they didn’t…but if they get a rematch, and Monte Kiffin can figure out a scheme to just force a couple punts or a turnover, Oregon didn’t really stop USC either. USC has yet to play their best football. Plus, all the pressure will be on Oregon.
- Zach Mettenberg earned respect last night. He played his best game against the best competition they’ll see.
- Kudos to Bama for being able to win that kind of game. I don’t want to pile on McCarron but he has beat this team…in the National Championship. Why was he crying last night?
- Oregon State is going to beat up somebody in a non-BCS bowl. They’re a heckuva team.
- Yesterday’s 5 team parlay winner: Akron +22, Miami (OH) +4, Georgia Tech -8, Texas A&M -3, Oregon State -6.
For all of the latest on the Penn State Nittany Lions, follow VBR Lead Editor Tim Tolley on Twitter.