With four weeks in the books, I wanted to take a long, hard look at the college landscape because we know a little more about these teams than we did in the preseason. No more living off of expectations (Michigan) or that one win that one time against Nebraska (UCLA). It’s show time!
1. Alabama – Easy.
2. Oregon – Arizona probably isn’t as good as people once thought, but it’s evident that this Oregon team has a strong defense to go with their regular, explosive offense.
3. Florida State – FSU has been hyped for a few years, this could finally be the one. Big win over Clemson.
4. LSU - I’m not sure what the win over Washington means and they need to beat teams like Auburn more convincingly. This is not the 2011 Tigers. I feel out on a limb here.
5. Florida – Wins at Texas A&M and Tennessee followed by a shutout against some basketball school have me impressed. So does Jeff Driskel
6. Georgia – Four SEC teams in the top 6. Ugh.
7. Notre Dame – Wins over Michigan State, Michigan and Purdue make Notre Dame the best team that should be in the Big Ten.
8. West Virginia – I’m eager to see them play a quality opponent, but Geno Smith looks like a legitimate Heisman contender.
9. Kansas State – It doesn’t always look pretty, but that win in Norman was big.
10. South Carolina – Marcus Lattimore is back and Connor Shaw is figuring it out. I really like USCe.
11. Stanford – They have a real chance to climb this poll in the near future. Early win over USC was enormous.
12. USC – I still think the Trojans are one of the two most talented teams in the country, but they’re not playing like it.
13. Texas – Defense looks borderline great…but against nobody.
14. TCU – Their ranking won’t really matter until November when the schedule gets brutal.
15. Oklahoma – Big Game Bob strikes again, to the dismay of Sooner fans.
16. Oregon State – Only two games played, but wins over Wisconsin and at UCLA are quality.
17. Rutgers – Three road wins in this young season.
18. Ohio State – Really eager to see Buckeyes this week. Braxton has been amazing. Nothing else has been.
19. Clemson – Clemson is really good and had a halftime lead over Florida State. They’ll bounce back.
20. Louisville – Ummm peer pressure? Can’t remember what I was thinking here.
21. Baylor – This is going to sound like a joke, but I like that win at ULM. Now if they just don’t get blown out by WVU this weekend…
22. Tennessee – They had a little trouble against Akron and head to Georgia this week. Don’t get used to them being here.
23. Northwestern – They beat 3 AQ teams in the first three weeks and now get Indiana…I smell 5-0!
24. Ohio – The Bobcats of Athens are undefeated with wins at Marshall and at Penn State.
25. Purdue – I like them more than this and they deserve better. Would like to swap Purdue and LVille if I could do it again.
There you have it! Full disclosure and a little glimpse into the madness. Don’t expect this every week. I hate confrontation.
For all of the latest on the Penn State Nittany Lions, follow VBR Lead Editor Tim Tolley on Twitter.