To those who are used to seeing my weekly recruiting update here on Tuesday morning, head over to PennLive.com to see it! It’s a big one!
Here on VBR, we’re going to look back at the 1st day of Spring practice under the new head coach, Bill O’Brien.
1st, let me admit that I was watching the wire, checking sites, refreshing twitter for updates and it was weird not seeing a pic of Joe…or Jay, Bradley and even McQueary. The new era has officially begun. One of the changes noticed immediately was that the blue line that used to surround the field is gone. That was the line that Joe said the players were to leave everything behind them when they crossed it. “You don’t have a girlfriend out here… leave her behind that line.”
Now, to the practice notes!
– In case you missed it, Bill Belton is getting snaps at RB, Curtis Drake at CB and Dakota Royer has moved from DE/LB to TE.
– RB Curtis Dukes is taking the Spring off to focus on his grades, making an already thin backfield even shorter on bodies.
– LB Mike Mauti will be taking it easy this Spring to rest his ACL tear from last September.
– McGloin got the beginning 1st team reps at QB, flanked by Justin Brown, Shawney Kersey and speedster Alex Kenney.
– PJ Jones, who is now eligible, Rob Bolden also got 1st team snaps.
– Bill O’Brien said that the Nittany Lions will run an offense that is based on the Patriots offense, re-stating that the tight end is the 2nd hardest position to learn in his offense, next to QB.
-The big news of the day came from surprise visitor, Danny O’Brien. Danny is transferring from Maryland and was in State College 2 weekends ago for a visit. He has also visited Vanderbilt, Ole Miss and Wisconsin. Earlier today, most people were under the assumption that DOB was done taking visits and would be making his decision soon. It was quite the surprise when he was spotted observing practice in a blue PSU windbreaker. Danny says that he has not yet made a decision but that Penn State would be a great opportunity for him.
There was a report early in the day that WR Devon Smith and graduated DE Jack Crawford had their apartment raided where police found marijuana, along with scales. No one has been charged yet in the incident and Smith was at practice on Monday as a full participant. This situation is certainly worth monitoring.
For all of the latest on the Penn State Nittany Lions, follow VBR Lead Editor Tim Tolley on Twitter.
Email me at [email protected]